- Key Initiatives
1. Conducts waived, moderate and high complexity testing in Hematology, Clinical Chemistry, Serology, Microbiology, Urinalysis and Blood Bank according to established procedures.
2. Responsible for reporting accurate test results by maintaining valid quality control measures.
3. Notify Director when a particular instrument or procedure is not performing to avoid extended downtime and to assure accurate test results.
4. Serves as Charge Tech when Laboratory Director not available. Notify Biomed when equipment is in need of repair, assist in troubleshooting.
Care of Patient
1. Perform venipuncture and capillary punctures on the patient per physician order, in consideration of the individual patient situation.
2. Perform arterial punctures per physician order, in consideration of the individual patient situation.
3. Directs Diagnostic Assistants to the patient care area that needs the most immediate attention, i.e. Stats, now, timed, etc.
Management of Information
1. As needed, logs incoming specimens into laboratory information system.
2. Ensures proper and complete labeling of all specimens to include patient name, date/time collected and collector initials.
3. Releases results in the laboratory information system within established turnaround times.
4. Able to print reports and send demand faxes upon nursing and/or physician requests.
5. Responsible for reviewing computer-generated reports to assure test completion of received specimens.
6. As needed, perform order entry processing of outpatients per established procedures.
7. The associate will hold in confidence any and all patient information communicated or stored using any medium including oral communication. In addition, the associate will seek to protect patient information from inadvertent use or disclosure by adhering to hospital and Triad Blue Book policies.
1. When preparing to perform venipuncture or arterial punctures, educate the patient on procedure and complete procedure in as painless manner as possible, assessing the pain tolerance especially in difficult collections.
1. Has completed annual CPR Heartsaver training
1. Identifies patients by verbal request and confirmation by checking armband.
2. Notifies physician or appropriate nursing personnel when critical values are obtained.
3. Document in LIS accordingly, noting name/initials of receiver, time and caller’s name/initials.
4. Performs routine maintenance on instrumentation per manufacturer recommendations, to avoid downtime and threaten established turnaround times.
5. Observes established procedures for equipment safety and infection control.
6. Knowledgeable about latex allergy precautions and documents in outpatient chart.
7. Patient/Family Education – Explains procedures to patient and family, with patient’s permission, in an effective manner, as needed in conjunction with nursing personnel.
8. Patient’s Rights/Abuse – Abides by policies governing patient rights and responsibilities.
9. Demonstrates age appropriate competency skills and knowledge, displays ability to perform skills specific to patient population identified in department specific skill list:
10. Assists in orienting and training new technical employees and student interns.
1. Responsible for knowing the lifting requirements of the job, requesting assistance when appropriate.
2. Contributes to Performance Improvement activities at Kosciusko Community Hospital.
3. Maintains knowledge of current trend and developments in the field by reading appropriate literature and when able to attend related seminars and educational sessions.
1. Performs other duties as assigned and/or required.
Education and Formal Training Required:
1. Must be a high school graduate with a Bachelor of Science in Medical Technology, Biology or related science.
2. Completion of a one-year internship in an accredited hospital program.
3. Eligible for or has passed certification registry exam from an accredited agency, i.e. ASCP or HEW.
1. Exposure to blood and body fluids: Exposure Control Level I
2. Must have good verbal and written communication skills.
3. Able to distinguish all colors and gradations of such.
4. Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds utilizing proper back safety precautions.
5. Able to be on call if the need arises, and respond within a reasonable time frame.
6. Exposure to toxic fumes and/or caustic agents such as acids, bases, or flammable reagents.
7. Completed CPR certification for Heartsaver.
One to two years’ experience preferred, but not required.
- Kosciusko Community Hospital
- Job Title
- Medical Lab Tech
- Positions Available